2. B: 2005, 1st is fishing 43.3 million, skateboarding 12.2 mil
3. A: - get this - ...! (use of expression and exclamation mark)
4. B: percentage growth of soccer 17.5, golf 2.9 does not indicate MORE THAN TWICE THE RATE
5. C: No mention of statistics for those 'watching' big sports
6. A: kayaking is an individual sport
7. B: writer DOES NOT prefer the current trend in sports participation, he's all for the cheering crowd (meaning he likes to watch, not participate)
8. A: worried how customers perceive their brand = losing their distinctiveness
9. B: no mention of Starbucks loss of revenue/income, paragraph 2 indicates Starbucks experienced has watered down but didn't mention income.
10. B: not because of high prices but paragraph 3 states 'are at risk from growing sense that their products are indeed just commodities'.
11. C: Schulz suggests that the company needs to go back to its roots.
12. A: up-market - more appealing to the rich.
13. B: doubtful - similar to 'not sure'
14. C: health conscious because there is a growing concern about obesity.
15. A: a stronger greenhouse gas than CO2 - pound for pound methane is a more powerful greenhouse gas
16. B: difficult to control - para 2: 'it is not always easy because sometimes they are one and the same'.
17. A: 'they do exist' conveys disbelief
18. B: warming at higher latitudes
19. A: tipping point - point where something tips over/trigger a serious reaction
20. C: are easier to control than those emitted from wetlands and paddy fields
21. A: option III is not stated
22. B: women now earn almost as much as men because it stated, 'due to a narrowing wage gap'. option A is unacceptable as there is no data and option C is also not related as it is not stated who owns more property
23. B: emphasise the large numbers - biggest/twice the size of the hottest developing markets
24. B: seismic relates to earthquakes/earth shattering/something amazing, nerve wrecking means nervous, groundbreaking means pioneer/original/first of its kind
25. A: human capital - manpower
26. A: more open - more liberal
27. C: cause and effect (access to female edu therefore increase of literacy, increased labour-force participation therefore 70 percent more women work etc)
28. A: growing faster because 8.1 compared to 5.8. option B is not accurate as higher female earners in developed world is not necessarily comparing to men, could be compared to number of female earner is poorer countries and C is inaccurate as 80 percent is not the same as 'Some 80 percent' which means 'about 80 percent)
29. B: 'what the world needs at the moment' = positive attitude
30. C: conveys surprise
31. B: anaphoric reference
32. A: affects the ability to convey emotions
33. B: one consequence (stated in the question) is a delayed response to anger as given in the example in lines 42 - 44
34. C: contributes to the field : 'part of a bludgeoning field called 'embodied cognition'
35. C: using their hands to commit a moral transgression therefore they will have an urge to wash them.
36. B: because all the other statements are can be proven wrong.
37. C: all three - body, mind (thoughts) and emotions (feelings) are interrelated.
38. B: previous paragraph (anaphoric) refers to how cheap food has been and how much people waste
39. D: NOT TRUE because when more meat is consumed demand for grain increases as 8kg grain needed to produce 1kg meat
40. C: the use of maize for ethanol has increased food prices because the maize for ethanol amounts for half of the fall in the world's overall grain stocks.
41. A: farmers not the urban poor
42. D: no mention of higher wages
43. B: free up agricultural trade= less control and opening up
44. B: a catch here refers to a drawback/disadvantage
45. D: once in a lifetime chance to narrow the gap
Hi... these are only my own answers, not MPM's. There are a few questions that are open for debate as the answers are quite tricky. The others I'm pretty certain correct. Anyway, check your answers here and let me know your comments. :P