Followers

Sunday, May 5, 2019

Teaching Writing MUET 800/4 - Q2

Teaching MUET academic essay skills is perhaps one of the more challenging tasks of MUET teachers. I have always championed my 5 paragraph template especially for weaker students to achieve at least a Band 2 or Band 3, but as I am NOT an MPM appointed examiner, I can only teach according to what I know, what I have learnt from the available textbooks in the market in addition to my own personal spin on it. i now tell my students to write 6 paragraphs, by adding 1 paragraph for a counter-argument. Some teachers tell me it is unnecessary but I think it helps to show the examiner the students' ability to think critically. I do tell them to leave out the 5th paragraph if they cannot do it well.

If you feel that my teaching style is not to your liking, pls do not read further. I do not wish to be blamed for teaching you the wrong thing. I would like to see more transparency in educating teachers on how to mark according to the marking scheme as most of us are untrained and will not have had any opportunity to mark according to the proper standard. Hopefully the powers that be will have more courses for MUET teachers on this matter.

Anyway, below is my best attempt so far. I am quite proud of my worksheets. If you would like to use them for the benefit of your own students, do email me at muetmyway@gmail.com. As long as you don't sell it and make money from it, I will be happy that it reaches students who need it the most.

The worksheets covers:
1. ideation (3 for, 3 against, two recommendations each)
2. possible variations of how to organise your essay (100%/75:25%/50:50%)
3. 5 HOOKs system and a proper INTRODUCTION (I have written extensively on HOOKS in my past posts, check my archives) which include Hook+Stand+Thesis Statement
4. Sample essay of 100% Agree.

Anyway, you can take a peek here.

NOTE TO STUDENTS: THIS IS MERELY BAND 3 OR 4.. IF YOU WANT BAND 5 AND 6, DO NOT LET THE TEMPLATE HAMPER YOUR WRITING STYLE. YOU NEED TO DEMONSTRATE HIGH ACCURACY AND FLUENCY WHILE SHOWING OFF YOUR CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS... DO WRITE BETTER THAN THIS SAMPLE. YOU MAY EMAIL ME YOUR ATTEMPT AND I WILL GRADE IT FOR YOU IF I HAVE THE TIME.

Take note that when you agree or disagree, you MUST LINK Part A (pollution) to Part B (poor public awareness. Most students get low marks for task fulfillment because they seem to always end up just listing all the reasons for pollution. From my personal observation, agreeing with the topic is far easier than disagreeing because you will need to further prove your stand by LINKING the two parts clearly. Notice that I used the phrase 'although people are aware...' before I introduce my points.

Ok, happy teaching and learning!



I have decided to release this file. Bah, use it to help your students. Softcopy is available here.

20 comments:

  1. I would like more information about this, because it is very nice., Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very generous with your sharing. There isn't enough information on the marking schemes for MUET in the market and this is a real disadvantage to rural students(as well as teachers).MUET marking scheme is too rigid in my opinion, I would like Mpm to be more open about it. Your generous sharing has helped my students over the years to obtain Band 3-5. I believe that you have received bountiful blessings for your generosity. A true teacher indeed. Keep up the great service. GOD BLESS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am spurred to keep blogging because of you and your heartening comments. Tq for the kind words.

      Delete
  3. Can I have a set of copy pls?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi miss Audrey do u have the answer for muet reading session 2 2019?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, miss can you share muet reading paper answer 2019 session 2 ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi miss Audrey do u have the answer for muet reading session 2 2019?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi miss Audrey do u have the answer for muet reading session 2 2019?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi miss Audrey do u have the answer for muet reading session 2 2019?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi miss Audrey do u have the answer for muet reading session 2 2019?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi miss Audrey do u have the answer for muet reading session 2 2019?

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you for still writing in this blog. I found your template is very amazing yet helpful. Even it is 2019, your old template is still relevant. I never found any other template as good as yours. I believe it has helped many students and even a non-student like me :)
    May you be in the best of health and be granted with whatever you wished for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very sweet of you to mention. Thanks for staying tuned. Hugs.

      Delete
  12. Hi Miss Audrey, I am your new follower. Your template is very useful. Can I have the soft copy for the above ? Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Ms Audrey. We can't thank you enough for these insightful information.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Ms. Audrey! I'll be sitting for my MUET tomorrow and I'm a nervous wreck as I'm typing this LOL but your post has definitely helped. I have a better idea of how the format should look like now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for your sharing n guidance. I am also a MUET teacher and I seek your opinion and guidance through your blog. I wish you all the happiness and sustenance in the world. May God bless you.

    ReplyDelete